Tuesday, April 6, 2010

you almsot can


The above postcard advertises Marilee Talktington's one-woman show TRUCE. In it, a fierce-looking woman with bold make-up and bright red hair holds a folded white cane, tipped at angle, to the left of her cheek.

Marilee uses the white cane as this remarkable–sometimes funny, sometimes angry, sometimes sensual –prop in very specific ways. I think it is important for the sighted community AND visually impaired community to see this symbol of vision loss used in so many fluid, inventive ways. Also, all of the action in the play happens behind a gauzy scrim–so for sighted play-goers, the experience is one of blurred vision. Brilliant!

The show will be held over for an extra weekend, April 9 and 10th if people are interested in audio description. Check out www.lighthouse-sf.org for details.


  1. This poster advertising job access to people with disabilities, reads: Youcan think. You can produce. You can come up with winning ideas. The image is of a blind woman using a white cane. It is on a bulletin board behind glass. Which to me reads--you can if there were Braille printed on this glass or if your handheld digital text scanner could read through the glass. Good luck! [Disclaimer: This company may or may not be doing a good job of marketing in accessible formats, I can't say for sure, but this image, or non-image, as it were, adds something to the ironic patchwork that is the "disability message" in society.]


on Twitter

, where this blog lives now. because it can be read and posted to through that app, one-handed, on my back, by a body of water, or in the cool olive green light above my mattress. This is articulation my spine had not dreamed of before.

My blog lived on Tumblr for a minute

because it is so much easier to access from my phone. fallinginrealtime.tumblr This is the feed. No, I don't like it. I can't add another virtual box. I'll make due with Twitter.

Real Time Archive