Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Municipal Pier -- between the Presidio and Aquatic Park






Environment

The 1,850-foot pier is built over clay, sand, and mud, but considerable material has built up under it over the years. As a result, a great number of different species of fish have been caught here. Department of Fish and Game studies showed more than 45 species of fish caught at the pier in a single year. The vast majority of the fish that are caught are the old standbys for this area: white croaker, walleye and silver surfperch, striped seaperch, black seaperch, white seaperch, pileperch, shinerperch, jacksmelt, Pacific tomcod, sand sole, Pacific sanddabs, starry flounder, English sole, California halibut, brown rockfish, black rockfish, striped bass, brown smoothhound sharks, leopard sharks, California skates, big skates and bat rays

--from
http://www.pierfishing.com/resources/index.php?id=piers:san_francisco_municipal_pier

1 comment:

Melanie Westerberg said...

Bat rays! Leopard sharks! All we gots is crawdads.
These pictures have been inspiring me to take a long walk since you first posted them, but it will not stop raining. Last night it stopped for a while and the sky turned pink and there was a rainbow.

on Twitter

, where this blog lives now. because it can be read and posted to through that app, one-handed, on my back, by a body of water, or in the cool olive green light above my mattress. This is articulation my spine had not dreamed of before.

My blog lived on Tumblr for a minute

because it is so much easier to access from my phone. fallinginrealtime.tumblr This is the feed. No, I don't like it. I can't add another virtual box. I'll make due with Twitter.

Real Time Archive